Perle Systems Application Note
PoE in Remote Management of Telecommunications and IT Equipment
Enterprises continue to explore ways to reduce their support costs and reduce equipment downtime. By deploying console management equipment in the remote facility and attaching them to the serial console ports of routers and telco switches, mission critical equipment can be accessed quickly from a central location where troubleshooting, diagnostics and recovery procedures can be initiated saving on the costs of a service call and reducing the amount of downtime.
As more and more PoE equipment is deployed in telecommunication facilities, there is a growing need to remote manage this equipment with devices that also support PoE.
An IOLAN SDS P or STS P is ideal for remote management in Power Over Ethernet environments.
Features and Benefits of the IOLAN SDS P or STS P in a Remote Management Environment
- PoE Support: Full compliance with the IEEE 802.3af standard supporting both end-span and mid span power sources. Inrush current protection for continous operation.
- SSH: enables the administrator to connect to the serial console port via the SDS1 P and have the session encrypted with SSH protecting sensitive information from unauthorized users on the network.
- Port Buffering: When troubleshooting remote equipment, it is important to view past information that was sent out the equipment console port prior to a failure or problem. Timestamping of the buffered information further assists technical personal pinpoint when the messages occured.
- Authentication: To ensure that only authorized personel can access the equipment, the SDS1 P supports strong authentication schemes such as RADIUS, TACACS, LDAP, NIS and RSA’s SecureID.
- Multi-session: In some cases it may be necessary to allow more than one user to access and view the same serial port at the same time.
- Advanced IP technology including IPV6 Support: As telecommunications companies evolve to IPV6 infrastructures particularly with 3G wireless equipment, it is important that the remote management equipment can run native IPV6. The SDS1 P supports IPV6 today providing investment protection for the future.
- 15Kv ESD Protection: Industrial strength 15Kv surge protection across all ports ensures continuous and reliable operation.
- Bottom Line: By providing the flexibility of Power Over Ethernet 803.2af , SSH, port buffering, authentication, multi-session support, IPV6 support and 15Kv ESD protection, the IOLAN SDS1 P is the premier serial to Ethernet solution for remote management of telecommunication equipment.