November 27, 2018
Perle launches Industrial Fiber to Ethernet Media Converters
98 Copper to Fiber Converters with DIN Rail Mount, Triple Power input and Extended Operating Temperature Support
NASHVILLE, TN—November 27, 2018 — Perle Systems, a global provider of advanced Device Networking Hardware, today announced the release of SR Industrial Media Converters for the conversion of Ethernet copper to fiber optic cabling.
The use of Ethernet in industrial applications provides real-time control over network communication in environments subject to extreme temperatures, vibrations, electromagnetic interference (EMI) and other potentially disturbing noises.
Inevitably, the Industrial Network Engineer faces three common challenges:
- the corruption of data transmitted over UTP CAT5/6/7 cabling when exposed to EMI,
- connecting distributed switches and equipment located throughout the plant floor, rather than centralized in racks and closets, and
- how to transmit data from a remote industrial facility back to the corporate network.
John Feeney, COO at Perle Systems comments, "Because most industrial networks are a hybrid of copper and fiber cabling, these obstacles can be overcome with the inclusion of Industrial Copper to Fiber Media Converters. Perle’s new SR Media Converters have features specifically designed to meet the unique needs found in these environments."
First, data transmitted over fiber optic cable is completely immune EMI noise. Using a Copper to Fiber Converter to interconnect the CAT5/6/7 cabling to multimode fiber inside the plant ensures reliable data transfer.
Second, Copper-based Ethernet connections are limited to a data transmission distance of only 100 meters [328 feet] when using unshielded twisted pair ( UTP ) cable. Using a Copper to Fiber Converter to connect UTP to multimode fiber extends this link up to 2km.
Finally, if the industrial facility is located up to 160km away from the corporate office, using single mode fiber bridges that gap. A Media Converter is used to connect the single mode fiber to the corporate UTP copper network.
In addition to solving these common industrial networking issues, Perle’s new Industrial Media Converters have specific design features that make them easy to integrate and install in industrial environments.
- The compact chassis easily mounts on a DIN rail or inside distribution boxes.
- Input power voltage can be supplied using two redundant terminal blocks or through the optional TBUS DIN Rail Bus connector system that transmits voltage across the bus. This triple redundant power input support provides up-time peace of mind.
- With operating temperature support of -40C to +75C (-40F to +167F), these media converters are ideal for use with industrial devices subjected to harsh environments and severe temperatures such as security cameras, wireless access points, alarms, traffic controllers, sensors and tracking devices.
- All Perle Media Converters have an on-board microcontroller which deals with error detection and recovery by continuously monitoring the status of the links connected to its transceiver ports. If there is a break or failure in the link, both end devices become aware and react accordingly.
This new product launch incorporates 98 models compatible with 10/100/1000Base-T Ethernet with SFP, dual fiber ST/SC or single fiber SC/ST connectors. Find out more about Perle Industrial Media Converters.