image alt tag

Network managers can make the most of limited budgets

By Max Burkhalter
November 26, 2012
While the importance of IT for businesses is quickly rising all across the globe, it's not uncommon for database network managers to find that their budgets are not growing to match. Oftentimes, managers are expected to do more with less.

This is obviously a challenging scenario. However, there are a number of strategies network managers can utilize to achieve success with limited resources, as Techworld Australia's Brian Jacobs recently highlighted.

The benefits of simplicity
Jacobs noted that one of the most important steps that a firm can take to improve results in the data center network without breaking the bank is emphasizing simplicity.

"From download to user experience to licensing, your IT management experience should be simple all around," Jacobs asserted.

By making simplicity a priority, IT departments can save a significant amount of time and effort, which translates into cost savings. One of the keys to reaching such a solution, according to Jacobs, is providing an "an integrated application with access to everything across your IT infrastructure from a single, intuitive Web console."

Finding problems and solutions fast
According to Jacobs, it is critical for managers of all kinds of networks to strive to find solutions as quickly as possible. He noted that studies have found that IT departments spend 80 percent of their time and resources simply identifying the problems they face, and only the remaining 20 percent actually resolving the issues.

By improving this ratio, the manager of a data center network can vastly improve overall productivity without increasing the IT budget.

"Look for an infrastructure management solution that will let you discover, map, monitor and manage the network devices, servers, applications, virtual resources, port-to-port connectivity, configuration settings and network traffic from a single console," Jacobs recommended.

Console management can improve the identification and solving of problems as well as increasing the simplicity and efficiency of data center networks. With console management, a network manager can handle problems arising in a particular data center remotely. Rather than rushing from one office branch to another every time an issue occurs, the manager can exercise control over the network anytime and anywhere. This can serve as a powerful time-saver, as well as reducing travel costs.

Perle’s wide range of 1 to 48 port Perle Console Servers provide data center managers and network administrators with secure remote management of any device with a serial console port. Plus, they are the only truly fault tolerant Console Servers on the market with the advanced security functionality needed to easily perform secure remote data center management and out-of-band management of IT assets from anywhere in the world.


Have a Question? Chat with a live Product Specialist!

Have a Question?

We can provide more information about our products or arrange for a price quotation.

email-icon Send an Email
contactus-icon Send an Email callus-icon Call Us

Send us an Email