Serial to Ethernet Converters
Transmit RS232/422/485 over Ethernet
A Serial to Ethernet Converter connects devices with RS232, RS422, or RS485 serial interfaces to a local area network for transmission of serial data over wired or wireless Ethernet. By converting serial data signals into Ethernet (TCP or UDP) packets, and vice versa, they enable reliable data transmission to other devices or network server applications. This is accomplished by encapsulating the serial data in Ethernet packets in a manner that best fits the type of data being transported.
With a physical wired or wireless (LTE or WiFi) Ethernet network connection on one side, and one or more serial ports on the other side, Serial to Ethernet Converters are designed to ensure that when you access attached devices over a network the connection operates as if you are locally connected to the serial port with a direct cable connection. This is perfect in M2M communication where client access needs to be made independent of any operating system or proprietary protocol. While some Serial to Ethernet Converters can be very simple devices, it is best practice to use one with advanced security functionality, data encryption, and user authentication to ensure network data transmissions, and access to network equipment is protected.
Installing a Serial to Ethernet Converter is ideal if you need to:
- Replace serial cabling with Ethernet but maintain the use of devices that were active on the serial network
- Set-up virtual COM ports to connect PC or Servers to remote serial devices over Ethernet
- Communicate to multiple serial devices at the same time across a network
- Replace existing serial dial-up modem connections
- Manage the serial console port on servers, routers, switches, PBX’s, firewalls, etc... over Ethernet or through out-of-band connections
- Connect serial PLCs or serial signage equipment to Ethernet
IOLAN Serial to Ethernet Converters
Perle offers multiple form factors to fit any Serial to Ethernet conversion project specification: Device Servers, Terminal Servers, and Console Servers. Regardless of the form factor you choose, all IOLAN Serial to Ethernet Converters come with high-performance software functionality and are IPv6 compatible. With innovative TrueSerial® Technology, Perle IOLAN Serial to Ethernet Converters guarantee authentic serial communications and maintain device protocol integrity across Ethernet. These advanced serial to Ethernet solutions are your best choice for networking async devices such as POS terminals, PLCs, signage, PBX's, card readers, and a wide variety of industrial equipment to TCP/IP or UDP/IP.
IOLAN Device Servers
- 1, 2, 4, or 8 RS232/422/485 Ports
- DB9, RJ45 and DB25 serial connectors
- 10/100/1000 RJ45 Ethernet
- Operate in -40°C to +74°C
- Hazardous location certified models
- AC or PoE powered models
IOLAN Terminal Servers
- 8, 16, 32, or 48 RS232/422/485 RJ45 Ports
- Optional adapters for DB9 and DB25
- 10/100/1000 RJ45 Ethernet
- Operate in -40°C to +70°C
- NERC CIP or NEBS Level 3 certification
- AC or DC Power Options
Serial to Ethernet Applications
Out-of-Band Console Management
Secure access to USB or RJ45 RS232 console ports on routers, switches, etc, via inband Reverse Telnet / SSL / SSH or out-of-band over integrated LTE, WiFi, or modem for multiple alternate access methods when the network is down. Out-of-Band Management: What is it and why do I need it?
Serial Tunneling between two Serial Devices
Serial Tunneling enables you to establish a link across Ethernet to a serial port on another IOLAN. Both IOLAN serial ports must be configured for Serial Tunneling (typically one serial port is configured as a Tunnel Server and the other serial port as a Tunnel Client).
Create a Virtual COM Port
Serial ports can be connected to network servers or workstations running Perle's TruePort software operating as a virtual COM port. Sessions can be initiated either from the Perle IOLAN or from the TruePort COMport Re-director Utility.